MURDOCK NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

www.murdockna.org

A regular Board meeting was held, August 25, 2004, at the home of Steve Chell.

Attendees:  Steve Chell, Carol Chell, Trixie Johnson, Bob Fanjoy, Larry Murchan, Judy Boehm, Sue Malone, and Doris Livezey. Mori Mandis was excused.

  1. Meeting was called to order at 7:45 by President Steve Chell. Proposed agenda was approved.
  2. Old Business

    1. Draft By-laws were reviewed; several changes made. Some numbering to be corrected. Trixie will incorporate the changes and email to the board before sending to Mori for final printing and to Siggy for the website. Changes include membership to include absentee owners; one vote per household for those with paid dues; (dues to be $10 per household as separate action, but not stated in the by-laws), minutes to be available on the MNA website rather than being emailed to each member. The Board will appoint a nominating committee in July. The slate to be presented to the membership no later than October 1. The first Board shall serve until the Annual Meeting in October 2005. If ever necessary, dissolution of association assets will be gifted to the City of San Jose for Murdock neighborhood improvements. After discussion, the Board decided against formally providing a provision for recall.

    2. Traffic Committee Update - Judy has agreed to co-chair the committee. She, Harli. Trixie and Steve met with the principal, and representatives from the San Jose Transportation Department and the school district. Transportation officials want to wait three weeks before monitoring. The group will reconvene on Monday, September 13 to review possible solutions, and the Traffic Committee will report on that meeting. Harli contacted the police to request they monitor the neighborhood on the night of the parent meeting. (The same night as this Board meeting). Three tickets were given out for illegal parking. Steve expressed frustration that Leslie (principal) hadn't been notified. . Judy explained they just wanted to warn the parents, but the police must enforce the law once they see an infraction. They normally tow instead of ticketing. Judy explained the school site council is also exasperated with the parents and are concerned for the kids' safety. Steve to send an apology to Leslie for not keeping her in the loop.

  3. New Business

    1. Meeting Schedule

      1. General meetings for the remainder of this year to be September 22 and October 27 at the Lynbrook cafeteria.

      2. Possible October 27 program: speakers from both the high school and elementary districts about the parcel tax. No political candidates. Other suggestions for future meetings: PG&E rep re outages, city arborist, park info.

      3. General Meetings to be held on the 4th Wednesday, once per Quarter. 2005 dates: January 26, April 27, July 23 (exception for Saturday picnic), October 26. Board Meetings to be monthly preferably on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 7:30. Bob Fanjoy to check his schedule.

    2. Date of next Board election: October 26, 2005.

    3. Communications

      1. Website - Doris will send a thank you to Siggy Illis for a terrific job. We need a policy for posting items. Discussion about links to city events, arts, entertainment; city commission and volunteer openings, volunteer sites. Notices from City Council. We want nothing boring. Site needs to be changed once per week. Timeliness of utmost importance. Bylined articles pertinent to the neighborhood are welcome. All items need to go through Steve or Trixie to determine their relevance.

      2. Newsletter - Newsletter could be quarterly. Sue will check out newsletters from other associations and come up with a draft format and proposal regarding costs, assistance needed, etc. Not all neighborhood associations have newsletters. She will also work on a membership card design/logo. Bob's neighbor is editor of a Chinese newsletter, and he will check as to the possibility of our having a Chinese translation of our newsletter.

      3. Flyers - Block Captains. All Board members were encouraged to contact neighbors to help. The assignment: every Board member must get at least one person or family living between Castle Glen and Bollinger to assist with flyer distribution. Please get names & contact information to Mori by Tuesday, Sept. 7

      4. Email. Messages to be blind copies. Emails should be sent to the president to forward to the board.

    4. Committee formation/organization: Tabled until next meeting.

    5. Survey discussion: Tabled until next meeting. Not all board members received a copy.

    6. School signage. Cheryl Pace sent an email to the board - upset about home-made sign for Portal. Steve wants to let it rest till the traffic situation is resolved. See what happens with professional signs.

    7. Absent homeowners list - not all members had a copy of the list prepared by David Bratman. Doris will draft a letter notifying them of the association, inviting them to join and to attend the meeting.

    8. Other:

      1. Park concerns - Bob noticed soccer practice in the park. Volleyball wearing down grass. Doris to contact park rep about a sand volleyball court. Doris reported that per the Park Concerns Department, this is a neighborhood park and is available to everyone. No reply yet from Parks Department about Steve's proposed sign that is used by the City of Manhattan Beach.

      2. Treasurer: Judy inquired about a bank. Will look into various suggestions. Budget. Larry and Judy to come up with a preliminary budget to propose at the September meeting; for approval at October meeting. Doris will send a "thank you" note to Lorraine Dougherty for providing seed money.

      3. Doris inquired about liability insurance for the board. It was suggested we contact the Neighborhood Development Center.

      4. Voting at general meetings will require people showing their membership card.

  4. Meeting adjourned at 10:00 p.m. Next Board meeting on September 15 at 7:30 at Judy Boehm's.

Respectfully submitted,

Doris Livezey, acting secretary